Author: Anna Scarlett
Publisher: Samhain Publishing, Ltd.
Release Date: August 28, 2012
Format: Advanced Uncorrected Proof
Source: The author sent it to me
Buy It: Amazon
Add It: Goodreads
This time, the straight-and-narrow path could be the road to ruin.
Dr. Elyse Morgan’s mission: find the cure to the HTN4 virus. The compensation, courtesy of the United Nations: a lab stocked with hi-tech goodies, limitless resources and enough chocolate to make her rear look like a cellulite farm. Bonus: she gets to live.
Rescued (kidnapped) and secreted (imprisoned) on an undersea warship, Elyse adjusts to her assumed identity as a cadet with the finesse of a toeless ballerina. Her sulfuric temper and blatant insubordination capture the unwanted attention of the ship’s captain, the gorgeous, infuriating, engaged Nicoli Marek.
Elyse would rather perform her own autopsy than become the other woman, but Nicoli—who’s as full of himself as he is of secrets—regards his impending marriage as a mere political transaction. And Elyse as fair game.
As Elyse’s suspicions about the UN’s true agenda mount along with her attraction to the relentless, chronically shirtless captain, she must choose between the murky path to everything she’s ever wanted, or the squeaky-clean path of self-sacrifice—which could mean taking the secrets of the virus with her to the grave.
Warning: Features a strong, chocolate-loving heroine who takes no prisoners on the way to saving the world from an epidemic and winning a captain’s heart.
Did you know that Anna Scarlett is a pen name for Anna Banks, author of Of Poseidon?? I didn't either, until Anna tweeted about it and I made the connection. I was excited to read this book before, but then when I found out that SHE wrote it, I was over the moon. I will read anything Anna writes. Anything. And I'm super excited that she wrote an adult romance this time! As always, my main points are bolded. :)
1. I have a thing for books with medical aspects to them. A doctor on a mission to find the cue for a deadly virus... and terrorists hoping to kill her before she gets the chance? YES.
2. I loved the science fiction-y twist with the high-tech equipment, underwater battleships, transport pods, giant squid, etc. It was not so far into the future that it was unbelievable, but just far enough that Anna could let her imagination go. I really enjoyed the world building.
3. Elyse Morgan is seriously my best friend in another life. Her gumption is enviable. She is seriously kick a- and I totally who I want to be when I grow up (haha. I'm 25... I should be grown up already... right?). She is so strong and independent and powerful, doesn't cave under pressure, sticks up for herself, and settles for nothing less than she wants. I mean, this woman essentially black mailed the UN at one point. Oh, and she is hilarious! Her thoughts had me laughing out loud, and I'm really good about not doing that when I'm reading in silence. Can I please be her? I love, love, LOVE strong heroines.
4. Nicoli is my kind of man... dark and handsome and protective, concerned, caring, flirtatious. He's this strong military-type with a hardened exterior and a mushy center reserved for those he cares about. Swoonworthy. That's really all I can say to sum him up. Other than perfect. Or please-can-I-have-him? I mean, as if I needed another reason to want to be Elyse. She has this guy chasing after her! Mmmmmm.
5. OH MY. Anna can write sexual tension as easy as the ABC's. She had me hanging on every single word. The witty banter cat and mouse game that is Elyse and Nicoli is delicious.
6. The writing. Hello. I love Anna's writing, but I already mentioned that. She's awesome at capturing feelings and emotions and putting them into words, smacking you down right in the middle of it all. Even the medical descriptions had me engrossed! Sometimes I glaze over when medicine gets too complicated, but I got this. It was complicated, but written on a level that I could follow.
7. There were twists and turns and brand new information given out all the time! I love a book that just keeps on going and branching off the main storyline. Things were always exciting.
Basically, I can't say a bad thing about this book. I loved it, and I think you should read it. It's got a little bit of everything (romance, sci-fi, action, amazing storytelling, perfect characters, etc.) and I think it would appeal to pretty much anyone. I hope Anna writes more adult fiction in the future! And actually, I'd love to read more about some of the characters in this book. Do you hear me, Anna? You've got a request!